Tuesday, May 26, 2015

San Jose California Residents. Are You Conserving Water?





I have lived in San Jose, California all my life and every year there has been less and less rainfall. People start to panic and talk about being in a drought. Then it rains, floods, water levels rise everyone stops panicking. Yea! We have a drought going on now and maybe it will be the longest one ever. I’m not tripping on conserving water? The reason why, I rent a duplex and there is shared water which is included in the rent. I don’t know how much the other unit is using and I can’t do anything about it. The rent continues to go up every year to compensate for the rising cost of water. I have been water conscious all my life. Growing up in a household of seven, my parents had a large water bill to pay. We all  learned how to conserve. I don’t let the water run while brushing my teeth, washing dishes, taking a shower.I wash clothes once a week to conserve water.
For all San Jose residents, it’s illegal for you to wash your car with potable water. For you that don’t know what potable water is, it is drinking water. It is illegal to top off a residential swimming pool or hot tub more than 1 foot. San Jose’s Water Conservation Board has the nerve to say you can drain a hot tub or pool to fix the leak that’s legal. This is one of the stupidest thing I have ever heard, you can buy a pool or hot tub, but it is illegal to fill them. This one is real dumb, don’t put in a new lawn between May 1 and Oct. 31 if it has a sprinkler system. You can however install new grass only if you water it by hand or a with drip irrigation or with recycled water. What about the office buildings and schools that have been around for years with the old system of using drinking water to keep their grass green? Are they paying the fines? It seems to me no matter how you conserve or don’t conserve living in San Jose, California there will always be a drought.

LM

No comments:

Post a Comment